incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: OFBiz - next steps
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:12:04 GMT
On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> The reason is that the Software Grant is a legal vehicles that
> says "I/We own this software and we are granting it to
> the ASF". So unless there is a legal entity that owns
> the code, they cannot grant it to the ASF to allow us to
> relicense it.

yep

> In that case, each person who ever committed a line of
> code needs to submit a iCLA which allows their patches
> (and therefore, once everyone has one on file, the
> complete codebase) to be relicensed under the AL.

Actually, it is only needed from everyone who might own copyright
to some part of the work.  So, it is those people who have contributed
functionality greater than a simple bug fix.

OTOH, the mentors should be aware that, because this work is already
licensed under BSD terms, there is no LEGAL risk to the foundation if
we can't get all the signatures -- those remaining are simply considered
reuse of BSD-licensed code.  However, we still want the CLAs for social
reasons and to confirm that moving the contributions to Apache License
is a voluntary act.  Also, it reduces the vulnerability of the original
OFBiz group if we obtain this permission now, while their contributors
are still in the mood.

....Roy