incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:28:11 GMT
On 3 Feb 2006, at 16:13, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>> Incidentally its worth looking at other projects at Apache like Agila
>> and various projects on http://ws.apache.org like EWS, Mirae, Muse,
>> WSRF, TSIK etc which are kinda quiet, some near dormant. Making
>> projects too small and too granular can sometimes harm the chances of
>> creating a vibrant community. Just as the some folks in the WS PMC
>> are starting to consider collapsing projects together due to
>> inactivity, I think we should stay open to the idea of creating less
>> granular projects that can build a thriving community to start with
>> then, if the community decides, split things off later if something
>> becomes so popular it deserves its own project.
>
> James, bearing in mind the *content* of Dims questions above,
> rather than how he phrased them, would you please expand on
> the above to address how Dims apparently interpreted it?

The point I was trying to make above has nothing to do with ws-folks
or anyone involved in the projects - apologies if my cold-induced
ramblings caused any offence. It was more just a general observation
on project size and community growth. Its hard growing communities;
it takes a lot of time and effort. Projects can be too broad
(Jakarta) and too granular - but sometimes its easier to build
community inside a single project with one overall aim (Geronimo for
J2EE, ServiceMix for JBI, Jakarta Commons / WS Commons for utility
code etc) than to have lots of smaller projects.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/