incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:58:24 GMT
On 17 Feb 2006, at 23:15, Ismael Ghalimi wrote:
> Team,
>
> Before we decide to put both codebases under the same project or under
> separate projects, I would like to ask a couple of clarifying
> questions.
>
> First, what is the goal of the Ode project? Is it to develop an
> implementation of the BPEL specification, or is it to develop a
> process
> engine that is based on BPEL, but could support other workflow
> patterns as
> well, as was suggested in a previous post? While both options have
> their own
> merits, I am a little bit worried that the later could lead to a
> lot of
> confusion and wasted efforts, especially if we were to start from two
> separate codebases that have very different architectures
> underneath. I have
> been in the process game long enough to know that not specifying
> the process
> model upfront -- be it BPEL, BPML, XPDL or WSFL -- can take one
> down a path
> leading nowhere. A lot of work went into the development of the BPEL
> specification, and I respectfully suggest that we do not try to re-
> invent
> this work here, at least not until we get a working version of the
> process
> model we pick as a reference point.

Probably all of the above :). We have quite a few different code
bases & use cases here.

> Second, if we agree that the goal is to develop an implementation
> of the
> BPEL specification, I would like us to answer the following
> questions. I
> understand that some questions have already been answered on this
> mailing
> list, but summarizing the answers would certainly help.
>
> - Do we want to support BPEL 2.0, BPEL 1.1, or both?

Both

> - Do we want to be independent from any specific ESB?

Yes

> - Do we want to be independent from any specific J2EE application
> server?

Yes

> - Do we want to rely on JBI and how does it impact the previous goal?

Not rely no. But optionally reuse it, yes.

> - Do we want to have something that we can release now or can we
> wait 6 to
> 12 months?

I'd expect PXE and Sybase to want to be able to release soon - not
6-12 months from now. Certainly as a user of both, I want to use both
in ServiceMix right now; | don't wanna sit on my hands for a year
waiting.

> - If we want to release something now, is it ok to have two separate
> codebases under the same project?

Yes; lots of other projects do this already. (Agila, Axis, Geronimo etc)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/