incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne ASF Proposal
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:40:31 GMT
Hi Yoav,

We've actually looked at the DB option (and are still open to it as a
second choice). The reasoning behind the TLP proposal is that Cayenne
has quite some history as an open source project and we have a number
of subprojects that may not fit into the DB community scope as there
is no database involved.

Cayenne is all these things:

* An object relational mapping framework (ORM). This part similar in
functionality to OJB.
* A framework for remote objects persistence (user API similar to
ORM, but no DB on the backend). I am not even sure how to classify
that ... persistence through web services (??)
* UI tools (ORM tools and tools for object to UI binding)
* [still in the early stages] JPA implementation (JSR-220) - this is
another ORM API, but IMO within Apache it has most synergy with
Geronimo.

In fact we've already presented our proposal to the DB community, and
the consensus seems to be that TLP is a better option:

http://www.mail-archive.com/general@db.apache.org/msg00247.html

Andrus