incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 05:58:31 GMT
Niclas,

Although at one time this was true of the transaction manager in
Geronimo, we have done some very minor work to make this optional.  I
designed the Geronimo kernel and consider it a design flaw that the
kernel becomes a dependency of the services it manages.  This is
something we have worked to address in the current code, and
something I plan to completely eliminate over the six months.

James in particular lead the effort to remove theses dependencies,
because it bugged him that these services were "trapped" in Geronimo.

Maven 1?  Maven 1 had no concept of "test" dependencies or "optional"
dependencies in Maven 2 termonology at the time we wrote most of the
poms for Geronimo.  This means that either only test code is using
them or they are used by code that is only optionally loaded if the
dependent jar is present in the system.  As we convert to Maven 2
over the next several months, you will seem many of these extra
dependencies fall away.

Basically, this is by no means an exaggeration.

-dain