incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:01:21 GMT
On 18 Feb 2006, at 04:26, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Replied to on ode-dev@.  Please move discussion to that list.
>
> The one comment to which I'll reply in general, as it effects multiple
> projects, is:
>
>> The only issue is users of Sybase or PXE will want milestone builds
>> so they can test against the incubating code & to give us feedback
>> that things are working etc.  (e.g. we already test against PXE in
>> ServiceMix and we want to test against Sybase too and use ServiceMix
>> as an integration test case for any work done on the merge).
>
> Without debating the merits of any particular release, please note
> that the
> ASF really couldn't care less about releases of vendor donated code
> bases
> while the work is progressing on what will be our releases.
> Vendors are
> free to post any updates to their customers.

To be clear - I was talking about the 2 Apache code bases which are
seeded from Sybase and PXE.

e.g. will existing PXE users happily sit on their hands for a year
patiently waiting for the grand unification? What if we can never
agree the "one true engine"?

> Users who come to our projects
> should be focused on what we're doing, and not looking for support for
> vendor products.  Keep in mind that the package names will change to
> org.apache.*,

I know - its exactly the org.apache.*  code I was talking about.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/