incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David E. Jones" <jone...@ofbiz.org>
Subject Re: OFBiz - next steps
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:03:40 GMT
On Feb 13, 2006, at 9:26 AM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> On 2/13/06, Jacopo Cappellato <tiz@sastau.it> wrote:
>> J Aaron,
>>
>> thanks for your feedback.
>> Sorry but I still have some doubts about this:
>>
>> if a guy signs an iCLA in which he states that he agrees to release
>> under the ASL all the work (present and future) that he sends to
>> the ASF
>> (thru mailing lists, Jira, SVN etc...), in which way this
>> agreement will
>> address the work that the guy did and donated in the past under a
>> different licence and to a different project/community?
>
> Incubating OFBiz = present contribution.
>
> For former contributors, the purpose of the iCLA is to cover this
> current contribution to the Incubator.  While the contribution may be
> in the past as far as OFBiz is concerned, it's in the present as far
> as the ASF is concerned.  In other words, the contributor is
> re-contributing the code as part of the incubation grant.

Yes, this makes sense. We are basically getting together as a big
group of people who have written things for OFBiz and contributing
them all to the ASF. This is the only way to do it as technically no
single entity owns all of the OFBiz code.

As far as picking on the term "present" goes it could be interpreted
as the initial code contribution as J Aaron described, or the way I
was thinking of it was that technically in licensing there is no
"past" it is the present state of the work or a particular state of
the work that is of concern.

-David