incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <>
Subject Re: BPEL contribution from Sybase
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 01:56:49 GMT
On Feb 13, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 12:42:58PM -0800, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Sybase wants to donate to the service-mix community and the
>> ServiceMix community wants to work with the code.  Any contributor
> It should be donate to APACHE. The various people can come to it.

I don't think anyone has said that this isn't a donation to apache.
Every donation I have seen to apache, has either come to a PMC and is
sponsored as a IP donation or incubated sub project, or comes
directly to the incubator without a sponsoring PMC and must find one
(which can be the incubator PMC).  This is exactly what is happening
here with the Geronimo PMC.

> To be frank, some communities can bias against newcomers. That isn't
> right for the ASF, and it *absolutely* is not write for podling
> communities within the Incubator.

Woha... There is no one saying the service mix community is biased
against new comers.  I think it is the exact opposite.  They are very
welcoming and I think this is what excited them to donate the code.

> This doesn't apply to just BPEL. I had the same reaction to the recent
> Ajax proposals. "oh, sure, Dojo can come and join this new community."
> Right. They'll feel like outsiders right from the start. "Euh. We have
> some code? Yah, I know you have some, but will you look at ours?" Bah.

I think that is a different case.  In that case we are talking about
two competing communities.  In this case, we have a donator and a
community that *want* to work together.

> This isn't about control, this is about inclusivity. Targeting one
> group of folks ("... to the service-mix community ...") over another
> is exclusion, not inclusion.

I disagree.  That is like saying any contributor is exclusive because
they committ code to only one or two projects.  Sybase has some code
that want to integrate into the service mix code base because they
like the project and the community and want to work collaborate with
them.  They could have quietly showed up an built a new orchestration
engine in service mix, but instead they are offering some existing
code to start with.  What's the big deal?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message