incubator-general mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OFBiz - next steps
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:56:43 GMT
On 2/8/06, David E. Jones <jonesde@ofbiz.org> wrote:

> Under the MIT license we have been using there is no assignment or
> granting of copyright. All of the code is licensed under the MIT
> license, and the copyright everywhere is listed under "The Open For
> Business Project". I don't know if this is an issue or not as the
> Apache license doesn't involve ownership of copyright, just a use
> license grant and such. Do we need to get any sort of license grant
> from other contributors? Under the MIT license terms we can add a
> license to it, but not remove that license, but if read literally the
> license comes from "The Open For Business Project". So, I guess I'm
> not sure what we really need in this area...

There are a number of ways in which we can handle this, but the first
step is to get a list of all those who have had direct commit access
to Open For Business.  The next list you'll want are contributors
whose code is in Open For Business but who never had commit rights.
As Justin explain, this can be the most difficult part, but it's not
only necessary, it's worth it because it ensures the code is free and
clear to be used properly.

I'll help with this item in any way I can.

And no, we don't need ip-clearance files, we need CLAs.

--
  jaaron