incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:23:44 GMT
On 3 Feb 2006, at 13:23, James Strachan wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2006, at 13:02, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> So, bottom line, Please draw up a new proposal for a separate
>> project.
>
> So here's the thing; no-one involved (the folks donating the code
> and the committers on the ServiceMix project) want a new project.
> We all want to work in the single JBI project, ServiceMix where the
> JBI container and JBI components live and are developed, documented
> and tested together. We want a single, strong community around JBI.

Incidentally its worth looking at other projects at Apache like Agila
and various projects on http://ws.apache.org like EWS, Mirae, Muse,
WSRF, TSIK etc which are kinda quiet, some near dormant. Making
projects too small and too granular can sometimes harm the chances of
creating a vibrant community. Just as the some folks in the WS PMC
are starting to consider collapsing projects together due to
inactivity, I think we should stay open to the idea of creating less
granular projects that can build a thriving community to start with
then, if the community decides, split things off later if something
becomes so popular it deserves its own project.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/