incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David E. Jones" <jone...@ofbiz.org>
Subject Re: OFBiz - next steps
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 07:53:36 GMT

On Feb 4, 2006, at 6:04 AM, David N. Welton wrote:

> *) IP clearance checklist - I need to make a copy of that in SVN here,
> /incubator/site-author/ip-clearance.  I'll try and get that done over
> the weekend.

I have some questions specific to the IP clearance issue for OFBiz. I
looked at the legal-discuss mailing list, but it appears to only be
open to committers. I have my iCLA on its way, though I'm not sure
how long that takes and if I should wait for that to ask this question.

The main question is that while one of the strengths of OFBiz is that
there is a good community made up of a number of people and a LOT of
people (dozens) who have contributed code to the project, but that
also means that if I understand it right the initial license grant is
somewhat tricky...

The main resources I've found for the license grant are:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Under the MIT license we have been using there is no assignment or
granting of copyright. All of the code is licensed under the MIT
license, and the copyright everywhere is listed under "The Open For
Business Project". I don't know if this is an issue or not as the
Apache license doesn't involve ownership of copyright, just a use
license grant and such. Do we need to get any sort of license grant
from other contributors? Under the MIT license terms we can add a
license to it, but not remove that license, but if read literally the
license comes from "The Open For Business Project". So, I guess I'm
not sure what we really need in this area...

Are there any guidelines about the size of a code contribution that
would necessitate a license grant document?

I guess one way or another we need to go through the commits and pick
out who we need to get a document signed by. Before getting started
with this we made sure that all current contributors were okay with
it, but it is sounding more and more like the group of people who
need to sign over a license grant for OFBiz may be pretty large...

So, it is clear that all current committers and those who have
contributed larger chunks of code need to sign and submit a license
grant, but I'm wondering where we can (or need to) draw the line...
For example, if someone submits a patch and we apply it, do we need
to get a license grant from that person no matter the size of the patch?

If this is better to put and discuss on the legal-discuss list just
let me know and I'll do what is needed to get on that list, or
perhaps David, Yoav, or J. Aaron could help with this.

-David