incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: OFBiz - next steps
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:44:21 GMT
On 2/8/06, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> That seems contradictory to what the IP clearance page says. Now I'm
> totally confused because that would mean we don't need that complex
> process of getting the software grant together for that contribution
> we're planning to integrate in Apache FOP because we have ICLAs on file
> for all three contributors.

The software grant is our preferred mechanism for code bases that can
be collectively licensed as a whole and submitted that way -
especially so for code that 'skips' Incubation (like the FOP example).
 For those projects coming to the Incubator that have a single
copyright holder (like BEA, IBM, etc.), the software grant is the
cleanest approach as well.

But, for OFBiz (like SA), no entity has the authority to relicense the
work and submit it to the ASF in the form of a software grant.
Therefore, we need CLAs from everyone who contributed at a minimum.
We could conceivably ask for a grant, but if we decided to execute a
software grant form for every OFBiz contributor, it would be a
bureaucratic nightmare as well.  -- justin