incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ismael Ghalimi <ghal...@intalio.com>
Subject Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:07:28 GMT
Good afternoon,

My name is Ismael Ghalimi, and I am the CEO of Intalio. Our company would be
interested in participating to the Ode project through a donation of the PXE
BPEL 2.0 engine and the dedication of development resources to the project.
The PXE BPEL 2.0 engine is currently licensed under the CPL open source
license, and has been integrated into third-party products/projects such as
Sun's Java Studio Enterprise and LogicBlaze's ServiceMix.

We understand that multiple implementations of BPEL might be contributed to
the project, and are willing to support the one that will be selected by the
Ode community. We believe that Apache is the right community for the
development of a solid implementation of the latest BPEL specification, and
our goal is to participate to this project as actively as we can, so that
the community at large could benefit from it. Ideally, we would like to
contribute to the development of a BPEL engine that could be deployed on top
of any J2EE application server, integrated with any ESB, and support the
most current version of the BPEL specification.

Alongside our donation of the PXE BPEL 2.0 engine, we are also willing to
contribute an AJAX-powered management console for the BPEL engine and an
XForms-based workflow engine that implements the concepts of the BPEL4People
proposal from IBM and SAP, without relying on any extension of the BPEL
specification. We believe that the BPEL management console should become
part of the Ode project, while the BPEL4People workflow engine could either
become part of the Ode project, or be developed through a separate project.

Additionally, the following people would participate to the project:

* Assaf Arkin [arkin@intalio.com], co-author of the BPEL specification
* Alex Boisvert [boisvert@intalio.com], PXE Developer
* Jacques-Alexandre Gerber [gerber@intalio.com], BPEL4People Developer
* Holger Hoffstaette [holger@wizards.de], PXE Developer
* Iwan Memruk [imemruk@lohika.odessa.ua], BPEL4People Developer
* Maciej Szefler [mbs@intalio.com], PXE Chief Architect
* Matthieu Riou [matthieu.riou@gmail.com], Agila + PXE Developer
* Nazar Stasiv [nstasiv@lohika.lviv.ua] Console developer
* Olexandr Zakordonskyy [ozak@lohika.lviv.ua], PXE & Console developer
* Oleg Zenzin [ozenzin@lohika.odessa.ua], BPEL4People Developer

Beyond our open source work on PXE, Intalio has developed a good experience
with Open Source projects in general and the Apache community in particular.
For example, we were the original developers for OpenEJB, which served as
one of the building blocks for Geronimo. We also developed the original
codebase for Slide and donated OpenXML to the Xerces project, alongside
IBM's donation of XML4J. We also developed the Castor, OpenJMS and OpenORB
projects under Apache license. These projects are now being developed by
communities such as CodeHaus or ObjectWeb.

Today, we wish to share our experience and resources with the Apache
community, and look forward to a very successful and exciting project.

Best regards
--
Ismael Chang Ghalimi, CEO
Intalio, The Open Source BPMS Company