incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Ode proposal
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:10:45 GMT
On 2/17/2006 8:12 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 11:42 -0800, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>>One thing that should be resolved as soon as possible is how we will
>>bring in new members.  At the moment there are 17 proposed new
>>committers for a total of 37 committers.  I think that this list might
>>rival that of Geronimo in terms of size; it seems excessive.  I propose
>>that people are brought in using the standard method of submitting patches.
>>

>-1 .. given that only a handful of the 37 committers (from Sybase and
>Intalio) have touched that code, I see one of two possible paths:
>
>- start with *just* those people as committers
>- start with everyone who wants to be a committer at this stage as
>committers
>
>The latter has been the traditional starting point for incubating
>projects. What you're proposing is some weird middlepoint which biases
>towards the few who signed up in the first few days/whatever. IMO that's
>not a good model!

OT: I dislike the current trend of people using +1, -1, for simple
conversations.  It confuses people and should be reserved for votes.

With that said, I disagree with your proposal Sanjiva.  It has been my
experience that on occasion corporate people who are listed w/ a
donation frequently do little or nothing to build the community or the
product.  Sometimes, corporations see a donation as a quick and easy
means to get their people ASF committer karma.

I trust the mentors on this project.  I trust the Incubator PMC that is
ultimately charged with the oversight of this project.  In a few days,
the the ranks of the commitership will be filled with active developers.

Regards,
Alan

Regards,
Alan