incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:20:42 GMT

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> I totally agree these codebases are large and complicated (remember I
> was the one who was surprised how fast people found that the Sybase
> codebase was nice and cool). If you really think the best solution is
> not to force them to merge then let's not go down the single project
> incubation path. That's a path that'll guarantee that the project will
> never graduate IMO.
>
> I have no problem saying we're going to incubate three different BPEL
> impls at the same time, but I am sure everyone realizes the reality that
> that's likely to mean none of them will really capture a dominant place
> in the world simply because 3's just too many. I guess that's fine too.

If we reversed course and went with multiple, I think that Darwin would
"lend a hand" there, so to speak.  Code mergers and community
consolidation between the like-minded and the willing will take place,
and obviously there will be competition for users, contributors and
mindshare.

 From what I understand to the goal of tight embedding of SybaseBPEL to
the ServiceMix JBI container, it plays to a different audience - one
that wants to use JBI, and have BPEL included, versus people who wish to
use BPEL independently from any given service container or management
system.  Both are legitimate technical objectives IMO.

I'm interested in working on the latter.

geir