incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Incubation vs. Donating Code to Existing Project
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:43:45 GMT
/me removes Zimbra hat.

For the past several years, I've wanted to donate my HTML
parser code built on Xerces-J to the Xerces project. It is
written using the Xerces Native Interface and provides HTML
parsing with XML APIs.

When I mentioned donating the code to the project, it was
suggested that I go through the incubator process. But
after getting to know more about the incubator through
the Kabuki proposal, I'm not sure if the incubator is
appropriate.

Here's the deal: I have a piece of code that relies
directly on Xerces-J and cannot be used without it. It's
a relatively small piece of code so it's not really a full
project by itself. And, unlike other projects considered
for incubation, there is no community because I have been
the sole implementor. So the incubator doesn't seem like
the right place for it but that's what the Xerces-J folks
have suggested.

Thoughts?

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org