incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why rewind? (Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:13:02 GMT
On 2 Feb 2006, at 20:51, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
>
>> Given it fits nicely with the existing ServiceMix incubation
>> proposal I see no need for a new proposal for a donation of
>> code to an existing incubating project.
>
> We don't start to incubate a chicken, and then import a barnyard
> under the
> same proposal, just because it fits well with a chicken.
>
> What I am hearing is that NOT that people don't want the new
> material, but
> that while it may fit with ServiceMix, it can also fit well with other
> projects, and they want to allow that separation.
>
> You may feel otherwise, although that is not clear to me from:

I certainly do feel otherwise as do the folks donating the code and
the other members of the ServiceMix project.

>> Not really, its an orchestration engine for an ESB so as I've already
>> said its very well suited to the ServiceMix project and first well
>> within its scope.
>
> We have at least two (2) ESB projects here.  Is this proposal really
> ServiceMix specific?

An orchestration engine and JBI go together like a J2EE application
server and a JTA provider (transaction manager). JBI (JSR 208) is the
JCP standard container model for deploying integration services; so
orchestration engines should expose themselves as a JBI component, be
deployed within a JBI container and work with other JBI components
(binding components or service engines to use JBI speak).  ServiceMix
is the only JBI project at Apache where it currently hosts a full JBI
container and test suite together with a large collection of existing
JBI components for various things (smart routing, audit,
transformation, rules, scripting etc). So the aim is for the
orchestration engine to become a JBI component deployable inside
ServiceMix's JBI container that can then orchestrate other JBI
components (such as the Axis or Tuscay JBI components - I'm sure in
time we'll have a Synapse JBI component too).
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/Components

Note that I purposely avoided the ESB buzzword in that paragraph
above as its a vague semi-meaningless term these days, like SOA and
"component" :)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/