incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:26:09 GMT
On 4 Feb 2006, at 01:38, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> I'm going to remove my original -1 from this thread and vote +1 for
> it.
>
> My apologies for helping to create this major ruckus. This type of
> heated discussion does not help build communities and cross community
> interactions that would benefit all of us in many ways. That is
> especially so because this has partly become ServiceMix vs. WS ..
> which
> is terrible because that's not what the discussions should be about at
> all. In any case, the WS project is BIG at the moment and I'd
> personally
> -1 any proposal to add 20+ more committers to our already overloaded
> committer list.
>
> So, if the ServiceMix folks feel that a BPEL engine needs to be
> near to
> their heart, then I'm all for it. I realize that my knowledge of JBI
> isn't enough to have a strong position on the technical rationale
> for it
> but am happy to defer to folks likes James, Dan, Aron and others that
> obviously do.
>
> I'm not on the Geronimo PMC and so have no part of this vote formally.
> When this finds its way into a vote on the Incubator PMC (which I'm
> on)
> I will read the proposal and vote on it; assuming it meets the
> criteria
> of not being code thrown over the wall, etc. etc. I'll be +1.
>
> Good luck folks .. I'll keep an eye on it and look to participate
> where
> possible and appropriate.

Thanks for your kind words Sanjiva. This has been an interesting
debate, I think we've all learnt from it and are all agreeing far
more than not. The way I see it right now we all agree that

* we all want to see more cross community collaboration in this space
(Geronimo, ServiceMix, Synapse, Tuscany, WS et al;).

* we all want the code & Sybase to work with us

* we want the BPEL code to be as reusable as possible in any Apache
project (*)

* at some point in the future, if there is a large and vibrant
community behind it who wants it to be so, there should be a separate
BPEL project

The only area of disagreement seems to be how we start; Sybase & the
ServiceMix community want to work on the code inside the existing
ServiceMix project as there is great synergy of people, technology
and scope - plus we are already in the incubator.  The ServiceMix
community are very open to contributions from anyone and we hope to
grow the community further - our arms are wide open to contributions
and we'd welcome any involvement from WS or Tuscany or any other part
of Apache.

(*) the BPEL engine will always be reusable by anyone inside or
outside Apache with minimum dependencies. If folks wanna use it
without JBI at all that's fine too; though the benefit is if you
integrate with JBI once you have one integration point that will
always work with the BPEL engine - together with any other BPEL
engine and any other integration component for that matter too...
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/Components

i.e. you'd save yourself heaps of time by just integrating with the
JBI API rather than the implementation-details APIs of this specific
BPEL engine. Be that as it may - anyone at Apache (or elsewhere) can
reuse any part of the code they like.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/