incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne ASF Proposal
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:12:41 GMT
On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:04:15PM +0300, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> We at Cayenne project (http://objectstyle.org/cayenne) would like to
> join Apache. We wrote a proposal draft that can be viewed here:
>
> http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/ASF+Proposal

Pasted below:

----------------------

Proposal for Cayenne to join ASF as a top-level project (TLP)
Section 0 : Rationale

Cayenne is an open source component-oriented persistence framework licensed under the Apache
License, providing
object-relational mapping (ORM) and remoting services. With a wealth of unique and powerful
features, Cayenne
can address a wide range of persistence needs. Cayenne seamlessly binds one or more database
schemas directly to
Java objects, managing atomic commit and rollbacks, SQL generation, joins, sequences, and
more. With Cayenne's
Remote Object Persistence, those Java objects can even be persisted out to clients via Web
Services. Or, with
native XML serialization, objects can be even further persisted to non-Java clients - such
as an Ajax-capable
browser. In addition to this existing functionality, Cayenne is currently building a JPA-compatible
persistence
provider (JSR-220).

In 2001, Cayenne was started as an open source collaborative environment, modeled after ASF.
Thus, proposing
Cayenne as an ASF project is the logical next step to further expand the community and increase
participation.
Section 0.1 : Criteria

    * Meritocracy: The project is and will contiue to be meritocratic, in accordance with
the usual Apache
meritocracy standards.

    * Community: Cayenne has a substantial, long-established user and developer community.
Two mailing lists
receive up to 500 messages per month, and the Jira bug tracker (shared with one other ObjectStyle.org
project)
has 230 registered users.

    * Core Developers: Andrus Adamchik (founder), Cris Daniluk, Michael Gentry, Tore Halset,
Mike Kienenberger,
Kevin Menard, Eric Schneider

    * Alignment: We propose Cayenne as a TLP within the ASF, sponsored by the DB TLP.

    * License: Cayenne is currently licensed under the Apache License 1.1, with the intention
of switching to
Apache License 2.0.

Section 0.2 : Warning Signs

    * Orphaned Software: Cayenne has a high volume of development activity. On a release date,
our freshmeat.net
"vitality rating" is typically #15-20, out of over 40000 registered projects.

    * Experience With Open Source: Cayenne was started as an open source project in 2001 and
has remained so for
5 years.

    * Homogenous Developers: Most of the current active committers met each other through
the Cayenne community.
None work for the same company.

    * Reliance on salaried developers: There is not a single Cayenne committer who is compensated
for their
efforts - we are a 100% volunteer project.

    * No Ties to Other Apache Products: Cayenne itself uses a number of Apache libraries,
such as commons-*,
velocity, log4j. Cayenne integrates with Derby and has Struts and Tapestry examples. Our user
community overlaps
with Tapestry and the MyFaces communities to some extent. We are planning to contribute a
JPA provider to
Geronimo, and have already taken some steps to work with the OpenEJB project, who will be
providing JSR-220
implementation to Geronimo. We are open to collaboration and finding synergies with other
Apache projects (e.g.,
those that require an Apache-licensed ORM).

    * Achieving the Apache Brand is a Prominent Goal: As indicated elsewhere in this proposal,
Cayenne was
founded with many of the same fundamental goals of ASF, regarding meritocracy and community
building, and it has
been licensed under Apache License. We remain committed to these goals as we move to ASF.

Section 1 : Scope of the project

Cayenne presently consists of an Object-Relational Mapping framework (ORM), a Swing Toolset
for ORM and Swing
bindings, an early version of an XML serialization framework and a Remote Object Persistence
framework. We have
started an effort to provide a full Cayenne-based implementation of the Java Persistence API,
compliant with
JSR-220 (aka EJB3).
Section 2 : Initial source from which the project is to be populated

Current Cayenne sources at http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/
Section 3: Identify the ASF resources to be created
Section 3.1 : Mailing Lists

    * cayenne-dev
    * cayenne-user
    * cayenne-scm
    * cayenne-ppmc

    * need to import lists of subscribers from current ezmlm ObjectStyle.org lists.

Section 3.2: SVN Repositories

    * cayenne (need to import current CVS)

Section 3.3: Issue Tracking

    * Need a new Jira project called CAYENNE.
    * Need to import current issues from ObjectStyle.org Jira

Section 4: Identify the Initial Set of Committers
ASF Committers

    * Mike Kienenberger (MyFaces PMC - apache user id 'mkienenb')

Non-ASF Committers

    * Andrus Adamchik
    * Cris Daniluk
    * Michael Gentry
    * Tore Halset
    * Kevin Menard
    * Eric Schneider

Section 5: Identify ASF Sponsor

    * Sponsor: ?
    * Mentor: Brian McCallister. Bill Dudney has also agreed to mentor.

Section 6: Open Issues for Discussion

Find a Sponsor