incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Incubation vs. Donating Code to Existing Project
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:59:35 GMT
IMO, going through the Incubator is not mandatory. The Xerces PMC could
decide to integrate CyberNeko (right?) into Xerces-J as an additional
component/feature. If it depends on Xerces-J and is a useful addition to
Xerces but has too little mass to lead a life on its own, I'd say it
could make a fine addition to Xerces-J. If Xerces chose to adopt
CyberNeko the only things that would need to be done are: vote on
adoption by the Xerces PMC and go through the IP clearance process. Just
my thoughts...

On 31.01.2006 19:43:45 Andy Clark wrote:
> /me removes Zimbra hat.
>
> For the past several years, I've wanted to donate my HTML
> parser code built on Xerces-J to the Xerces project. It is
> written using the Xerces Native Interface and provides HTML
> parsing with XML APIs.
>
> When I mentioned donating the code to the project, it was
> suggested that I go through the incubator process. But
> after getting to know more about the incubator through
> the Kabuki proposal, I'm not sure if the incubator is
> appropriate.
>
> Here's the deal: I have a piece of code that relies
> directly on Xerces-J and cannot be used without it. It's
> a relatively small piece of code so it's not really a full
> project by itself. And, unlike other projects considered
> for incubation, there is no community because I have been
> the sole implementor. So the incubator doesn't seem like
> the right place for it but that's what the Xerces-J folks
> have suggested.
>
> Thoughts?

Jeremias Maerki