incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:59:48 GMT
On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 08:52 +0000, James Strachan wrote:

> Integrating the two code bases together is gonna be a slow, iterative

s/two/three/.

> process; we're talking complex code here. It could be that to start
> with things are completely separate, after 6 months they are 10%
> common, 2 years 50% common etc. The figuring out "how to cut-n-shop &
> mix-n-match" could well take 5 years as this is an ongoing iterative
> process. Sure we'll be heading closer and closer towards a unified
> engine but it could take a long time to get there (and pieces could
> very well never completely merge).

What you've described is a process where Ode is by design an umbrella
project. I for one am not ready to accept an entire umbrella project for
incubation all at once - that's basically saying the entire discussion
about how we're going to merge stuff is an academic discussion isn't
it??

I totally agree these codebases are large and complicated (remember I
was the one who was surprised how fast people found that the Sybase
codebase was nice and cool). If you really think the best solution is
not to force them to merge then let's not go down the single project
incubation path. That's a path that'll guarantee that the project will
never graduate IMO.

I have no problem saying we're going to incubate three different BPEL
impls at the same time, but I am sure everyone realizes the reality that
that's likely to mean none of them will really capture a dominant place
in the world simply because 3's just too many. I guess that's fine too.

Sanjiva.