incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [doc] podling software releases
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:56:42 GMT
On Feb 9, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>> dev list or ppmc list?  Only PMC members' votes are binding for
>> full TLPs; I suggest having the vote on the dev list as mentioned
>> but only the PPMC members' votes being binding.
>
> it should be public vote, so on the public -dev list.  Here's a
> suggested refinement:
>
> "Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release,
> the
> Podling SHALL hold a vote on the Podling's public -dev list and notify
> the Podling's PPMC list that the vote has been called. At least
> three +1
> votes are required (see guidelines at
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html), and only the PPMC
> member
> votes are binding. If the majority of all votes is positive, then
> send a
> summary of that vote to general@incubator and formally request the
> Incubator PMC approve such a release. Three +1 Incubator PMC votes are
> required."

There is no need to "notify the PPMC".

PMC == Project Management Committee == the people who make decisions
for a project == the people with binding votes in public decisions
== the people on the dev list we listen to when they vote.

Anyone not on the dev list is not really on the PMC, period.
They should be officially removed from the PMC and placed in
emeritus status until they care to return.

This is often confused with the "pmc" list, which is simply a
private list with a confusing name that I will change to "private"
as soon as I get a spare day to run the scripts.

....Roy