incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 23:14:29 GMT
I'm trying to sort out the issues here.  As I understand Sybase wants
to donate the code and keep working on it in a community larger than
the Sybase developers working on it :-)

It seems to me that depending where the code comes into Apache
different groups of people get to work on it from the start:

-- incubator headed to top level project.  IIUC basically any apache
committer including all the servicemix developers and perhaps others
can join the project basically by saying they want to.

-- incubator headed to separate geronimo component.  IIUC geronimo
committers can join the project easily, others less easily.

-- incubator as part of servicemix.  IIUC servicemix developers join
with sybase developers.  It's harder for others to join.

I'm not quite sure I've interpreted everything correctly but I think
that some people from apache ws are interested in working on this
project.  If the above is accurate then incubator headed towards top
level project would most easily result in the largest community.
Conversely the "part of servicemix" option gives the appearance of
potentially excluding people who want to contribute.

Technically I know just about nothing about this field.  However one
of the goals of geronimo has been to get the components we use to
communicate through fairly well defined and stable interfaces.  (I
will leave aside the question of whether we have succeeded to any
noticeable extent).  From this point of view I think it might improve
the decoupling to have the bpel engine separate from servicemix.
Could someone with some technical knowledge comment on the possible
linkage and dependencies between sybase-bpel and servicemix?

At the moment my perspective on this situation is that:
- although I would love to see a good bpel integration into geronimo,
a bpel subproject of geronimo is out of scope.
- the best choice of incubator location is that which will promote
the largest community.  If only servicemix developers are interested
then servicemix is a fine location.  If there are a significant
number of people who want to work on sybase-bpel but not servicemix,
then a separate incubator project headed for TLP is more
appropriate.  Another possibility would be for servicemix to add all
the people who want to work on sybase-bpel.  I would expect that this
would have a bad effect on the servicemix community, but I have no
experience  to justify this opinion with.

Comments?

many thanks
david jencks