incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:39:45 GMT
On 23 Jan 2006, at 14:30, Sam Ruby wrote:

> == 1. Scope of the subprojects ==
>
> The initial scope of the project will include client-side widgets and
> other utilities from the Zimbra AjaxTK, as described in 0.1.

OK.

> In addition, the Kabuki project will also include server-side
> infrastructure to facilitate the AJAX programming model.

In the current download
(http://www.zimbra.com/community/ajaxtk_download.html), all samples are
designed to be shown only in the context of a JSP-enabled servlet
container, even though the samples don't require one per se.

> Such server-side components may include resource aggregation and
> delivery, user authorization, application event notification, etc.
> Since XML is used for communication and HTTP is used as the transport,
> the client-side toolkit is not tied to any particular programming
> language.

Why then the reliance on JSP for the delivery of the samples? IMHO,
that somehow rises (if only slightly) the barrier for people exploring
the actual donation. And from the description of the scope, I
understand the idea is to make sure the Ajax client library and widgets
are independent from any server-side runtime execution context.

</Steven>
Outerthought                              Open Source Java & XML
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org