incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:21:28 GMT
> Can someone make a definitive statement on whether or not code
> history is brought into our repo from elsewhere when a podling
> brings code over?

It is still being debated, so no.  Roy's comments about import from private
vs public repositories may be a reasonable approach.  Personally, I'm a
packrat.  I'd keep everything possible.  But I am not sure if we quite have
a consensus, yet.  Close.

Roy, what happens if I have a codebase, and I have one file in it that
imports or otherwise references third party GPL code, and I then delete my
infected file?  Do we have a concern about having that GPL infected code in
SVN, even though it is dead?

I did talk with Garrett Rooney, and we can resolve the authorship namespace
problem, so we can take that particular technical issue off the table.  The
imported author, which is held as a property, could be mangled to something
like IMPORTED_${PROJECT}_${AUTHOR} during the import, preventing collisions
with existing or future ASF Committers.

	--- Noel