incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:29:03 GMT
On Jan 19, 2006, at 12:18 AM, Raphaël Luta wrote:

>> codebase?
>>> - the mentor for this project is salaried by the project sponsor !
>>
>> To date, we have said that an ASF Member is an individual, not an
>> employeee.
>> Mind you, we're also discussing that a project SHOULD have
>> multiple Mentors.
>
> But do you really feel comfortable when the main point of oversight
> for the ASF in
> an incubated project is in the pay of the project sponsor and quite
> possibly
> internally reporting to one of the project committer ?
> The potential for conflict is huge and I would personnally hate to
> be in such
> an awkward position.

I am in that position for Jackrabbit.  It hasn't been a problem for me,
but it was one of the reasons that I made sure we had several other
ASF members involved as well.

BTW, the "main point of oversight" is the PPMC as a whole, not the
chair.
It is relatively easy to see when that isn't happening.  In any case,
that is why we call them incubating projects.

....Roy