incubator-general mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Roles (was OFBiz proposal)
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:36:53 GMT
> David N. Welton wrote:
>
> > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > > Where are the mentors?  Are the champions also going
> > > to mentor the project?
>
> > According to the docs I read, the incubator PMC is supposed to assign
> > them.
>
> The docs still need revising.

Yep.

Though I am interested in one more clarification:  number of mentors.
According to the current docs, there's only one mentor.  However, in
practice, they are sometimes several.  Is this an issue?  Is it better
to have one person have the final responsibility or to spread it out?

> If the project is sponsored by another PMC, they must line up Mentors first,
> or we are going to bounce the project as being out of conformance with
> Incubation requirements.  If the Incubator PMC sponsors the project, there
> must be Mentors lined up before we vote for it.  We are not in the business
> of providing or "assigning" Mentors.  Having Mentors serves a number of
> legal and structural purposes, and effectively limits the Incubator.  If
> there isn't sufficient interest that we have active Mentors participating,
> we cannot incubate the project.  Simple as that.

Can I just change the docs to reflect this or do we need a formal vote
for changing "official" policy documents?

And as for OFBiz itself, both David and I are willing to mentor and
others have said they'll step up to the role if necessary.  Do you
want me to update the proposal or is it fine as it is?

--
  jaaron