incubator-general mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:03:36 GMT
On 1/12/06, David N. Welton <davidw@dedasys.com> wrote:
> I think we should look at whether this project is a good fit for the ASF
>  (I think so, or I wouldn't have mentioned the idea to them) rather than
> if we are stepping on someone's toes.  Geronimo steps on toes.  Harmony
> does to some degree, as well.  Once upon a time, people sold web
> servers, and httpd stepped on their toes.

> Many ASF projects compete with many other products. As far as I
> understand things the ASF prides itself on not allowing any commercial
> entities or individuals to dictate what the ASF does and how it does it.

Certainly.

My point was that we should be prepared for such concerns.  For
example, I imagine an announcement that Apache is producing a full
ecommerce stack would create some buzz and questions.

As for being a good fit, on the surface it seems like it would be.  I
don't know anything other than what was in the proposal about how
OFBiz has worked internally as a community.  But then, figuring out
those sorts of things is exactly what the incubation process is about.

--
  jaaron