incubator-general mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:57:45 GMT
On 1/10/06, David E. Jones <jonesde@ofbiz.org> wrote:

> We are all looking forward to your comments and desire to express in
> advance appreciation for all that you have done and are doing for the
> open source world and the software world in general through your
> efforts in the Apache Software Foundation.

This proposal has caught my interest.  I'd be willing to help mentor.

A couple of points:

The proposal says that this project is to be sponsored by the ASF
Board.  Is that correct?  Did the Board already +1 on or are we still
searching for a sponsoring entity?

Apache has generally stayed away from end user applications and
instead focuses on infrastructure and middleware.  That's not
completey true, but is a good rule of thumb.  For example, a lot of
contributors and supporters of the ASF use our code to create
ecommerce products.  I'm a little worried that some may view this
proposal as the ASF attempting to compete with these contributors.

--
  jaaron