incubator-general mailing list archives

From Raphaël Luta <raphael.l...@aptiwan.com>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:18:21 GMT
Le 19 janv. 06 à 03:03, Noel J. Bergman a écrit :
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>>> What specific concerns do you have with this community and this
> codebase?
>> - the mentor for this project is salaried by the project sponsor !
>
> To date, we have said that an ASF Member is an individual, not an
> employeee.
> Mind you, we're also discussing that a project SHOULD have multiple
> Mentors.

But do you really feel comfortable when the main point of oversight
for the ASF in
an incubated project is in the pay of the project sponsor and quite
possibly
internally reporting to one of the project committer ?
The potential for conflict is huge and I would personnally hate to be
in such
an awkward position.

>> - I can trace no public attempt to meet other possible user apache
>>   communities (myfaces, portals, cocoon, etc...) even after first
>>   proposal rejection
>
> I see interaction with MyFaces, and one of them already added as a
> Committer.  You are here.  Is Portal going to give it a whirl?

I personally will not, others from Portals may wish to give it a try but
I somehow doubt it given that the toolkit didn't even show up in the
short list  when we first investigated the field for our AJAX support.
I don't see why incubating it would change in any way its fitness
for our purpose.
(a quick google search shows that this is true for all existing
  ASF projects. Dojo, DWR, Prototype, Rico have all generated some
traffic, Zimbra never)

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java