incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Clark <acl...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:36:23 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I see .java files - that has nothing to do with AJAX,
> so I'm sort of confused.  I'd be expecting to see, well,
> only JavaScript.
> [...]
> If it has .java files, it isn't a 'client library'.  So,
> I want to make sure we clarify where the boundaries are,
> so stupid people like me can make calls as to whether
> there's scope creep or not.

Without communication to the host server, AJAX is just
JavaScript in a web page. So there is a natural tendency
to have server-side infrastructure to complete the AJAX
programming model.

At a basic level, there's a need to provide localized
content for the application running in the browser. For
example, in the Zimbra client, we put all of the resources
in a standard Java .properties file and have a simple
servlet detect the preferred language, load the resources
(merging them), and return the data as a JS class. And
at a higher level, there's a need for authorization,
notification, etc.

While this submission starts with the primary widget
toolkit needed to start building AJAX applications, there
is a need for server-side code to complete the model. And
Java is a natural solution for this part and it ties in
nicely with Tomcat and other solutions already at Apache.

I hope this helps explain why there is some Java code
in the client library. And, as for scope, I don't think
the AJAX toolkit will stop simply at client-side widgets
because that's only half of the picture. But I think we
can start there and have it grow/evolve over time.

--
Andy Clark * Zimbra * aclark@zimbra.com