incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Martin Marinschek <martin.marinsc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:59:22 GMT
We could of course also set-up quality standards which have to be
fullfilled before the project _leaves_ incubation. That's a good bar
to set...

As the name "MyFaces" has been mentioned quite a bit, I'll explain our
situation. We currently use the prototype framework (one of the widely
used projects in the market, which Martin Cooper by the way doesn't
like either, due to namespacing issues). So, if Zimbra has the same
problems, we don't really have a need for the library.

We are hoping for a major donation regarding javascript with ADF Faces
- haven't had any chance to look on the sourcecode so far, though.
Maybe this will settle all our javascript needs and we'll stop looking
out for anything else.

regards,

Martin

On 1/5/06, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> > On 1/4/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > >
> > > So .. amidst all of our soul searching .. what'd we decide to do with
> > > the Ajax proposal from IBM et al.?? Did I miss the vote and decision??
> ..
> > Personally, I would prefer that the ASF not accept _any_ AJAX framework at
> > this point in time. The area is relatively new and in a great deal of flux
> > right now, and "crowning" one of them with the ASF brand will create a de
> > facto standard instead of letting the market decide, whether we like it or
>
> We are part of that market - and I have no illusions about our ability to
> set standards; we canot; we ONLY seem to do so when we happen to a) to
> jump on the boat with the right technology and b) get the market to play
> in our playground. (Marginally helped of course by the fact that so many
> talented peopel and companies come to play here that we do set the odd's
> for 'a' and have 'b' causal).
>
> If your argument is that the quality of Zimbra code is relatively low; or
> too immature by itself - and that is why you worry about spoiling the
> market by betting on the wrong horse - then we should simply reject -this-
> proposal based on the fact that there is a) not enough quality in the
> donation and b) no hope for it to improve in our playground.
>
> But in general - having the ASF offer it's eco system a place where we all
> can work on Ajax (and have synergy with all the portal code we have, with
> MyFaces^H^H^H^H^H^HOurFaces) seems like the right thing to do -when- there
> are sufficient people interested to work on it. Which is the right
> validating feedback loop.
>
> Dw.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>
>


--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message