incubator-general mailing list archives

From Raphaël Luta <raphael.l...@aptiwan.com>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:36:33 GMT
Le 19 janv. 06 à 02:57, Noel J. Bergman a écrit :

> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>> I thought it would be safe to assume that Zimbra collaboration suite
>> uses the AjaxTk. If it doesn't then I'm even more worried about that
>> codebase ;)
>
> Why?

Because then I would have to reconsider the "orphaned product" statement
of the proposal. Anyway, as far as I can tell froom looking at Zimbra
collaborative suite, it does depend on the ajaxTk.

>>>   Apache SOAP -> Apache Axis
>>>   Tomcat 3 -> Tomcat 4 -> Tomcat 5 -> Tomcat 5.5 ...
>>>   Jetspeed 1 -> Jetspeed 2  ;-)
>
>> My point exactly !
>
>> Most of these transitions have not been a smooth ride even though
>> they are successful: it takes time and a resilient community to
>> manage these.
>
>  No one said that doing it was necessarily easy, but isn't creating
> resilient, healthy, communities a major part of our purpose?

We're doing loops here. My point in this thread  is that initial code
quality does matter in a code grant incubation because it is often
burdened by backward compatibility with existing applications and
thus major restructure may require a revolution which can hardly
safely happen in the early months of the project open-source life.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java