incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Clark <acl...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated (Again)
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:47:33 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Another concern IIRC was download size. I remember
> (possibly incorrectly) that the toolkit has quite a
> large download before it will work, while other
> toolkits download piecemeal as required.

That's certainly one approach. And there are good reasons
for doing it all together, as well. For example, some
users have high-bandwidth but high-latency which makes it
better to push as much through in one go instead of doing
it piecemeal. And you could argue that most apps will need
all of the widgets in the core set anyway.

In the Zimbra product, we've done a lot of little tricks
to help improve the download of resources (e.g. source,
images, etc) for a variety of clients. Some of these
tricks are the standard MO for JavaScript programmers,
while others are based on experience and browser usage.
Here's a list of some of them:

* source is "jammed" together into a single file,
  removing comments and extraneous whitespace
* icon images are merged into a single image and
  coupled with CSS to display them properly
* images are pre-loaded to avoid browsers making
  multiple trips for the same image (because even
  though it's in the cache, some browsers -- and I
  won't name names ;) -- don't realize that
  immediately)

In the end, it's a judgement call between which approach
you take.

--
Andy Clark * Zimbra * aclark@zimbra.com