incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Release process ( Was Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24)
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:35:45 GMT
In
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3cC5C127EF-E3AB-4D72-A0B8-54FB51923A05@gbiv.com%3e

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
>
>> Sanjiva,
>>
>> Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional.  I had
>> previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc
>> lists
>> and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.
>>
>> To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to
>> release a
>> milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate  guidance
>> from the community. The information I have is to:
>>
>> 1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's  mailing
>> list.
>> 2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS  pmcs by
>> sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
>> general@incubator.
>
> All release votes must be made on public lists.  Even if people say
> yes in private, they still need to vote in public.  So, you should
> hold a vote on woden-dev and then send a summary of that vote to
> general@incubator, saying pointedly that you need X more +1 votes
> from incubator PMC members within 72 hours.
>
>> Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.
>
> Minimum three binding (official PMC) +1 votes and a majority of all
> votes being positive.  Releases do not need consensus.

I logged INCUBATOR-14 to remind myself to improve the info at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases .
I think even a little more clarification in this section would be helpful.

I'll start a [doc] thread for this after the Incubator site conversion
[1] settles down. (Existence of the Jira issue will keep me from
forgetting.)

-jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3c20060129052435.GA261@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e