incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David N. Welton" <dav...@dedasys.com>
Subject public perceptions
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:49:09 GMT
[ changed subject to discuss topic more abstractly ]

> I would agree with this if there was no immediate percieved benefit
> when you are in Incubator, unfortunately it seems projects under
> incubation are still perceived by the larger community as endorsed by
> Apache.

I think that the further away from something you get, the more vague
your perceptions are.  For instance, there are a lot of people who still
think that Apache == The Web Server.  When seen from afar, I'd tend to
agree that a move to "something.apache.org" is going to be noticed by
most people who are not looking carefully as "project now associated
with apache.org".

This is a theory of mine that seems to be born out by talking with
people, but it's not really an exact science.  What say the marketing folks?

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting