incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] "Getting Started in the Incubator" topic
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:42:59 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:33:56PM -0800, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>I think this information should go in one of these places:
>>
>>   http://incubator.apache.org/learn/
>>   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/
>
> +1.

with more thought, guides would be the best fit; besides, there are
guides for pretty much everyone else.

Also according to what David wrote in
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3c20060118074010.GB23606@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e

, learn is on the way out.

> I think there should also be something like a
>
> svn cp https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/trunk/tools/account-welcome.ezt
\
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/trunk/tools/account-welcome-incubator.ezt
>
> and with the latter file then pointing at the above. Heck, you might
> want to consider updating the original file a little, too.

I'd be happy to update the original, especially to change the "This will
grant you access to cvs.apache.org" to reference subversion instead.  :-)

copying account-welcome.ezt to account-welcome-incubator.ezt would
require the infra volunteer to pay close attention to the account being
created to see which "welcome" fits best -- not strictly necessary.

>>comments? feedback?
>
> Great stuff. The only worry is about this kind of information getting
> "stale" or "duplicated" since you're summarizing other bits of content.
> If that content ever changes, does the summary change? Oh well.

I'm hoping for the most part to summarize pointers to content, not copy
content in that would need to be synced up when the original changed
(gack). Even so, those pointers will get stale and have to be updated,
but I think it's worth having a more coherent starting pointing for new
podling committers. --I can add a disclaimer to that effect, and point
to www.apache.org/dev for the latest and greatest in current info.

thanks for the feedback,

  -jean