incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:23:28 GMT

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> Hi Geir (and all),
>
> my name is Jacopo Cappellato, I'm one of the developers of the OFBiz
> project and, as you can imagine, I'm very interested in your feedback
> about our request to join the ASF Incubator.
>
> About the proposal posted to the Wiki instead of to this list... well if
> you go to the first post in this thread you'll find a mail from David
> Jones with the proposal attached (in PDF format).
> The document has essentially the same content of the Wiki page, only the
> proposed sponsor is different (based on feedback from this list, we are
> now asking that the Incubator PMC be our sponsor).
>
> Of course, we have no problems to repost to the list an updated PDF
> version as well, if PDF is good for you (and we'll probably do this if
> there are no more comments from this list that we should take into
> account).

Hi Jacopo,

First and most importantly, welcome! :)

The following is my personal opinion, and shouldn't in any way be
assumed to be Incubator Policy.

Personally, I do like PDF but it still is one step away from LCD and
makes it a *little* harder, for example for people who use non-GUI tools
or on cellphones and such (I do get work mail to a phone, and I do have
a PDF reader on it, but I think that I'm in a small minority...)  It
also makes searching mail content harder - you couldn't take an
incubator archive mbox and grep for something. (Yes, modern tools will
open and digest it, but use of those tools is more the exception than
the norm...).  Also, if you were keeping revisions of the docs in
something like SVN, diffs would be easier.  For example, you talk about
how the PDF is "essentially the same".  If they were two emails, I could
diff them.  Now, w/ a PDF and a wiki page, one would have to examine the
two manually to know the difference.

Anyway, enough of a rant on this.  Thanks for getting involved in this.
  The ASF is a fun place.  really :)

geir