incubator-general mailing list archives

From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:51:30 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>>along with [a] codebase come an established group of committers
>>with an interest in keeping their current architecture or at
>>least backward compatibility
>
> That carries a fairly large assumption, and really should be posed as a
> question, not an answer.

I thought it would be safe to assume that Zimbra collaboration suite
uses the AjaxTk. If it doesn't then I'm even more worried about that
codebase ;)

>>An established codebase is *much* more difficult to restructure
>>than starting from scratch.
>
>   Apache SOAP -> Apache Axis
>   Tomcat 3 -> Tomcat 4 -> Tomcat 5 -> Tomcat 5.5 ...
>   Jetspeed 1 -> Jetspeed 2  ;-)

My point exactly ! (and you could add httpd 1.x -> httpd 2.x)
Most of these transitions have not been a smooth ride even though
they are successful: it takes time and a resilient community to
manage these.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/