incubator-general mailing list archives

From Si Chen <sic...@opensourcestrategies.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:32:16 GMT
Aaron,

Thank you for offering to mentor the project.  I am one of the other
group of committers for the Open For Business project and would like to
share my thoughts about "potential competition" with you.

Over the past year, we've seen the growing prominence of several open
source applications such as SugarCRM. There could be no question that
open source applications will eventually become a major part of the open
source landscape. Just as importantly, as open source applications gain
popularity, they would become the natural adoption drivers for the
middleware and infrastructure tiers.

The only question is, how will open source applications be built and
distributed? Would they be built by commercial vendors, or would they be
built by truly open community development in the Apache style?

Today, Open For Business is the only enterprise application project
which is not built by one centralized organization, but rather by a
community. You can see from our development logs that we draw upon a
large pool of contributors from all over the world. Furthermore, as a
novice user who over time became one of the core contributors of the
project, I can personally attest to the fact that anyone can make a
contribution to Open For Business.

Therefore, by sponsoring the Open For Business project, Apache could
help set the future of open source applications and ensure that there
would always be open communities for open source business applications.

Si Chen