incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Experiment : Incubator site done in xdocs...
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:53:03 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 1/4/06, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>There is a way to use Forrest itself to produce
>>xml output ...
>>
>>----------------------------
>>0)
>>Assuming that forrest is installed as per:
>>http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html
>

> i've been following this debate (off and on) for quite a while now (but had
> a bit of break without internet at Christmas) and wonder whether this step
> is a (the?) fundemental problem. IIRC one of the crucial things about
> gaining acceptance of anakia from those outside jakarta was that it ran with
> minimal installation.

Please, don't open that whole can of worms again ;-)

Installation of Forrest is as easy as Anakia, if not eaiser (download,
unpack) and has the same pre-requisites.

For some reason Incubator is using a branch of the 0.7 release, this
requires an SVN download. However, there is nothing stopping someone
building a snapshot of this branch and making it available to the
Incubator people (we are discussing just this kind of process on the
Forrest dev lists right now).

> i note that a lot of the issues noted by those using forrest on this list
> were solved by David but often required an upgrade.

Yes, Forrest is not yet at a 1.0 release.

The 0.7 release introduced a plugin mechanism that allows small parts of
the system to be upgraded independantly of the rest.

> the anakia binaries used to generate the foundation site are stored in
> subversion and can be run very simply. perhaps committed a fully configured
> installation to subversion would make things a lot easier.

Yes, see above.

However, it seems pretty clear that the majority here want to move away
from Forrest. There is a perception that Anakia will server the
Incubators needs better.

For other projects still using Forrest, the above recomendation is being
discussed by the Forrest devs.

Ross