incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Experiment : Incubator site done in xdocs...
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:53:17 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Geir's experiment was incomplete and he reported
> difficulty with some docs. Perhaps the following
> will help, or perhaps you already have a better
> solution.

I just want people to stay informed over here. You can see David is keen
to support your move away from Forrest, I'm keen to ensure the decision
is a well informed one. However, as stated previously I am also keen to
see you use the right tool for your needs - this is information for
those who want it, *not* a continuing campaign to change minds.

Forrest now has the following improvements as a result of feedback here:

Look and Feel
-------------

I've now completed the first prototype of an ASF Theme. This is
different to the ASF skin I linked to last week, it uses the forthcoming
Dispatcher code which is a replacement for the skin system (some
advantages are that it is much easier to manage, produces much cleaner
output, you can change the layout/style of a page on a per directory or
even per page basis and much more).

The Theme is not 100% complete, I'm no CSS expert. It is already better
than the skin I knocked together earlier. Both need the attention of a
CSS person to finally polish off though.

Note the output of both the skin and the theme is 100% CSS, not a table
in sight, no spacer gifs no inline style. Just clear, concise HTML output.

Workflow
--------

Geir suggested that we should enable the saving of documents from a
"forrest run" preview to the local build directoy to prevent the need to
separately build a site.

This now works, but only with a Firefox extension, it will work with any
browser when someone decides to do that work. It's really easy to get
other browsers to do it (it's just a request for a specific URL to enact
the save). The intention is to have an "in page" menu for this when
running in "dev" mode.

This allow the saving of a single page and the use of svn diffs to
ensure the expected changes have been made - as requested.

Next step is to enable a full site rebuild and a site deploy from within
the browser (no more console/browser switching).

NOTE
====

Both of these features are in SVN trunk. I have no intention of
backporting them to the 0.7 branch.

Ross