incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:27:57 GMT

Jules Gosnell wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>

>> Jules Gosnell wrote:

>>> I don't see how the incubator can hold a single position on this one.
>>>
>>> There are good reasons both for and against, depending on your project.
>>>

>> We certainly can have a position, and then deal with exceptions.
>>

>>> Rather than making a decision which is bound to fly in the face of
>>> some potential incubatees, why can it not simply be left to
>>> individual projects to decide for themselves?
>>

>> Because IMO the primary purpose of the incubator is to protect and
>> promote the ASFs interests, not of the candidate individual projects.
>> That's SourceForge.
>>

>>> My understanding of the incubator's role, was that issues like this
>>> did not have to be resolved until a project sought promotion up out
>>> of the incubator.
>>

>> Well, things have to be complete by then, but this is a case of where
>> if you don't do it from the beginning, you can't fix it later, unless
>> you've made no changes to the code.
>

> if you didn't bring your history to the incubator, then you obviously
> didn't intend to bring it to ASF - case closed.

That's true.  I would assume that an OSS project moving here would
indeed want to keep it though....

> if you did, then you are saying that you want at least one less
> fragmentation of your project's history, but this does not stop you from
> leaving your history behind when you are promoted from the incubator.

I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.

>>> At this point, I might reasonably expect to have to shed a project
>>> history - if its acceptance into a first-level ASF repo caused
>>> problems - and live with a history divided between two repos.
>>>
>>> Why, though, a passage to this point, via the incubator, should
>>> further fragment a project, and leave me with my history in three
>>> places, I do not understand.
>>>
>>> Isn't the incubator meant to lower the bar for projects wishing to
>>> migrate into ASF ?
>>

>> Where would the three places be?  I can see two if we don't take
>> history and only one if we do - here, at the ASF.
>

> 1. codehaus (history before move to incubator)
> 2. incubator (history after move and before promotion - many changes
> will occur to the project which it is in the incubator)
> 3. geronimo (history after promotion).
>
> History is an integral part of any project, an important technical
> reference, a record of contributions made to the project and much more.

Right - so why would you want to abandon the history when going to
Geronimo?  I can see it happening going from codehaus to incubator if
you chose to do that (although I wouldn't), but we should be able to
keep it when going to G, right?

> The incubator is a grey area between outside and inside ASF.

No - it's inside the ASF.

> I don't understand why any constraints (legal, resource-based etc...)
> should be applied to a project on entry into the incubator, although I
> would expect them to be applied strenuously before any promotion could
> occur.

Because the incubator is a project of the ASF, and therefore responsible
for what happens here.  It's not a "no-man's land".

geir