incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:51:40 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry to change the subject...
>>>
>>> Can someone make a definitive statement on whether or not code
>>> history is brought into our repo from elsewhere when a podling
>>> brings  code over?
>>>

>> I don't see how the incubator can hold a single position on this one.
>>
>> There are good reasons both for and against, depending on your project.
>>

> We certainly can have a position, and then deal with exceptions.
>

>> Rather than making a decision which is bound to fly in the face of
>> some potential incubatees, why can it not simply be left to individual
>> projects to decide for themselves?
>

> Because IMO the primary purpose of the incubator is to protect and
> promote the ASFs interests, not of the candidate individual projects.
> That's SourceForge.
>

>> My understanding of the incubator's role, was that issues like this
>> did not have to be resolved until a project sought promotion up out of
>> the incubator.
>

> Well, things have to be complete by then, but this is a case of where if
> you don't do it from the beginning, you can't fix it later, unless
> you've made no changes to the code.

if you didn't bring your history to the incubator, then you obviously
didn't intend to bring it to ASF - case closed.

if you did, then you are saying that you want at least one less
fragmentation of your project's history, but this does not stop you from
leaving your history behind when you are promoted from the incubator if
this is requirement.

>> At this point, I might reasonably expect to have to shed a project
>> history - if its acceptance into a first-level ASF repo caused
>> problems - and live with a history divided between two repos.
>>
>> Why, though, a passage to this point, via the incubator, should
>> further fragment a project, and leave me with my history in three
>> places, I do not understand.
>>
>> Isn't the incubator meant to lower the bar for projects wishing to
>> migrate into ASF ?
>

> Where would the three places be?  I can see two if we don't take history
> and only one if we do - here, at the ASF.

1. codehaus (history before move to incubator)
2. incubator (history after move and before promotion - many changes
will occur to the project which it is in the incubator)
3. geronimo (history after promotion).

History is an integral part of any project, an important technical
reference, a record of contributions made to the project and much more.

I don't understand why any constraints (legal, resource-based etc...)
should be applied to a project on entry into the incubator, although I
would expect them to be applied strenuously before any promotion could
occur.

respectfully,

Jules