incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:43:22 GMT

Jules Gosnell wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Sorry to change the subject...
>>
>> Can someone make a definitive statement on whether or not code
>> history is brought into our repo from elsewhere when a podling brings
>> code over?
>>

> I don't see how the incubator can hold a single position on this one.
>
> There are good reasons both for and against, depending on your project.

We certainly can have a position, and then deal with exceptions.

> Rather than making a decision which is bound to fly in the face of some
> potential incubatees, why can it not simply be left to individual
> projects to decide for themselves?

Because IMO the primary purpose of the incubator is to protect and
promote the ASFs interests, not of the candidate individual projects.
That's SourceForge.

> My understanding of the incubator's role, was that issues like this did
> not have to be resolved until a project sought promotion up out of the
> incubator.

Well, things have to be complete by then, but this is a case of where if
you don't do it from the beginning, you can't fix it later, unless
you've made no changes to the code.

> At this point, I might reasonably expect to have to shed a project
> history - if its acceptance into a first-level ASF repo caused problems
> - and live with a history divided between two repos.
>
> Why, though, a passage to this point, via the incubator, should further
> fragment a project, and leave me with my history in three places, I do
> not understand.
>
> Isn't the incubator meant to lower the bar for projects wishing to
> migrate into ASF ?

Where would the three places be?  I can see two if we don't take history
and only one if we do - here, at the ASF.

geir