incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:40:00 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Sorry to change the subject...
>
> Can someone make a definitive statement on whether or not code  history
> is brought into our repo from elsewhere when a podling brings  code over?

I don't see how the incubator can hold a single position on this one.

There are good reasons both for and against, depending on your project.

Rather than making a decision which is bound to fly in the face of some
potential incubatees, why can it not simply be left to individual
projects to decide for themselves?

My understanding of the incubator's role, was that issues like this did
not have to be resolved until a project sought promotion up out of the
incubator.

At this point, I might reasonably expect to have to shed a project
history - if its acceptance into a first-level ASF repo caused problems
- and live with a history divided between two repos.

Why, though, a passage to this point, via the incubator, should further
fragment a project, and leave me with my history in three places, I do
not understand.

Isn't the incubator meant to lower the bar for projects wishing to
migrate into ASF ?

Jules (WADI)