incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Clark <acl...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated (Again)
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:14:35 GMT
Martin Marinschek wrote:
> I don't recall anymore what he said specifically - did
> he talk about namespacing? do you do that?

I was unable to find anything specific to comment on.
Most of Martin Cooper's comments in his posts were
about the technology being too immature and that he
felt (after looking at the codebase) that is was the
old way of doing things. But nothing specific about
why he felt that way. But I'm confident that he'll
respond shortly with specific concerns that we can
discuss.

Namespacing is an interesting issue as related to
JavaScript programming. There's no inherent namespace
support in the language so there's generally two
approaches people take: 1) class name prefixes; and
2) nested objects to mimic packages.

The Zimbra code (as well as Yahoo and Google, from
what I've seen) uses the first approach. You could
argue that it's less "clean" than the other approach
but it's certainly more efficient because you don't
have to perform all those dereferences to get to the
object you're interested in. For example: AjxDateUtil
vs. com.zimbra.util.DateUtil.

I personally don't have a huge preference for one
over the other but when you have more and more client
side code, every little bit of performance helps.

--
Andy Clark * Zimbra * aclark@zimbra.com