incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Dargahi <ro...@zimbra.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated (Again)
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:38:20 GMT
Just a couple comments on Zimbra's motivations :-)

Zimbra has absolutely no commercial interest or monetization goals around its Ajax toolkit.
We are a collaboration software company and not a software tools company. We do have a very
strong interest in ensuring the success of Ajax in a *non-proprietary* form. We felt that
it would be a positive action to contribute our toolkit to the ASF and to try and build a
community around it. Our thinking was that a codebase on which some fairly sophisticated apps
have been developed would be of interest to the community. Additionally, Zimbra's products
borrow code from the Open Source community (a lot of it from Apache), and we thought that
it would be the right thing to do to give back to the community. We believed that making the
toolkit freely available for folks to use and contribute to, was one of the ways in which
we could achieve this.

Thanks

Ross