incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Wiki votes, was Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:03:14 GMT
[changed subject line though I don't intend to have a big discussion
about this topic]

On 18.01.2006, at 00:16, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Is this becoming the current de-facto process, posting to a wiki?
> (or "@)#!)#@ wiki", as I tend to think of them...)
>
> Can we please have things go to the mail list, as that should be
> the 'primary institutional memory' of the incubator community.
> Feel free to also have on a wiki for collaboration to get it done,
> but after that, the final proposal should, IMO, go to the mail list.
>
> Does anyone else feel this way?  Mail archives will live for years
> in distributed places.  Wiki's seem to be single-sourced and a lot
> more ephemeral....

Thanks, Geir - there was a half written msg with exactly this topic
in my outbox... I fully agree with you that at least anything which
is subject to a vote should directly include all the relevant
information - no links for substantial content, just for extras like
fancy PDFs describing the architecture or tarballs of the initial
codebase etc.

This may sound a bit picky but everything else unfortunately comes
with too many disadvantages (no real archives, dead links, no offline
access, etc.).

Cheers,
Erik