incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject [docs] whitespace and indenting of xml
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:29:56 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:

> I'm a little distressed to see the conversion process has messed
> up the formatting of the original HTML that I manually maintained
> for readability. Specifically, many of the terminating tags (such
> as </p>) are not indented as they ought to be and instead are in
> column 1. I don't suppose there is an easy way to regenerate the
> page so as to preserve more of the original formatting, is there?

I tried my best to format stuff automatically
as part of the Forrest output process. If it
was raw xml serialiser output then it would have
been even worse. No we cannot retain original
formatting.

I know that it is not good enough.

Someone could run all documents through something
like HTML Tidy or Henning's CodeWrestler or perhaps
some XSL.

I would be pleased to see how they do this, because
i want to add the ability to our future tools.

On many projects i have seen messy source documents
cause grief with svn diffs - too much clutter and
inconsistent whitespace.

-David